Trafficking firm exposed as 138 trafficked Nigerian women seek rescue from Saudi Arabia
By our Reporter
Aug. 9, 2020- Another set of 138 Nigerian ladies trafficked in Saudi Arabia have been uncovered days after an alarm was raised over critical situation of some trafficked 30 Nigerian ladies stranded in Lebanon.
The Journalists International Forum For Migration (JIFORM) disclosed this in a statement made available to the Humanitarian Post on Sunday
JIFORM President, Ajibola Abayomi said the body had profile of 138 ladies trafficked to the Arabian nation by a company identified as TTCO.
Some of the names on list included 23 years old Amina Idris an indigene of Kano with passport number A09118374is being withheld by her host.
Others are Atanda Easter Idowu, 42 and Salawu Yetunde Victoria, 37, with passport number A08233422 both from Oyo State and Gift Israel Johnnu, 25, with passport number A09136678 from Rivers State.
He said the revelation was unraveled in the data made available to JIFORM by the Rescue Africans In Slavery (RAIS), a foundation advocating against human trafficking and child labour.
Ajibola in the statement said “We commend the spirited effort of Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State for picking the bills of 55 victims out of 120 list of trafficked ladies in Lebanon recently released by the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM).
“Since we launched rescue campaign that led to the rescue of the 30 girls and others in Lebanon by the Nigerian government, several international agencies had been reaching out to us.
“And we have been directing them to relate with the National Agency for Trafficking In Persons (NAPTIP) accordingly. JIFORM is committed to humanitarian service and we are willing to do more” Ajibola stated.
Calling for another prompt attention from the Federal Government, the JIFORM President said some of the ladies at different locations in the country were in critical health condition and needed to be attended to in good time.
Also worried by the situation, the Executive Director of RAIS, Ms Omotola Fawunmi said although the temporal arrangement had been made to give the ladies first aid treatment in Saudi Arabia, she however pleaded for action to save the lives of the trafficked victims.
One of the victims who spoke under anonymity said all efforts to get the attention of the Nigerian ambassador in Saudi Arabia have proved abortive
The victim who is a English and Social Studies graduate from Adeniran Ogunsanya Colleague of Education, Lagos state while appealing for help said non- English speaking staff placed as front desk officers refused to give them attention.
The 26 years old lady on salary equivalent of N70, 000 per month lamented that she was fed with hash treatments being meted to her by her host.
She explained that she had applied as a teacher through her agents over two years ago only to be given out as house maid when she arrived at the country.
Also appealing for government’s attention, The Migrant Project (TMP), Media Lead, Tayo Elegbede, noted with concern that:"The trend of stranded Nigerians in dire conditions across the Middle East is, unfortunately, worrisome.
“We appeal to relevant authorities to ensure the safe and speedy return of these ladies and other Nigerians trapped across the Middle East.
“Unarguably, there is the need to decipher and address the fundamental factors responsible for gross undocumented migration of Nigerians, particularly from South-West states, to Middle East countries.
“Public campaigns and enlightenment on the risk and realities of irregular migration and human trafficking need to be advanced across the nooks and cranny of the country, whilst providing viable alternatives."